Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Why We are Adopting- Part 3

In late June 2007, we received a phone call about a little 10 month old baby boy that was pre-adoptive. We said that we were interested in meeting this little guy and arranged everything with his foster mother. We did not know what to expect. We were told this little guy had tested positive for cocaine when he was born and that the grandmother already had his older sister and did not want to raise another child. That is why he was already pre-adoptive.

I will never forget pulling into the driveway and praying that the Lord would show us what to do. I was so scared. Walking through that door was about to change my life forever and I didn't know if that was a good or bad thing.

Meeting that little boy was like walking into heaven. He was so precious and little. He loved to play and he has this giggle that still to this day cracks me up when he really gets tickled. We spoke with the foster mom and told her we definitely wanted this child. She told us she felt that we belonged together and would call the social worker after we left. We were going to have a son! When we left I asked Scott what he thought and he said, "He has a big head!" He sure did! Our little Charlie Brown boy changed our life!

Fast forward almost 2 years to November 2008. We stood in a courtroom pledging to forever be our little man's parents. That we would love him and care for him as if I had given birth to him. That he would forever be a Todd. Funny thing is he was a Todd the first day we met him, the judge just had to make it legal.


We had a wonderful adoption experience. There were days that were long and I wondered how much longer it would be before he was officially a Todd. It had its ups and downs but that is just part of it. Focusing on the ultimate goal, adoption, was what kept me going.

The adoption of our son reminds me of my adoption into God's family. I am so thankful that He adopted me and became my Heavenly Father when I was an orphan in this world. He showed me love and life. He has kept me safe and has corrected me. He has never turned me away. I am His! No one can ever take me away from Him, just like no one can ever take our little man away from us.

I can list all kinds of statistics about adoption and I can tell you what the scripture tells us to do, but until adoption touches your life in the most unbelievable way it is hard to understand. Until the Father, Himself, speaks to your heart and tells you He wants you to be part of something bigger than yourself you may look at me with crazy eyes! ;-) But you know what? He does want you to be part of something bigger than yourself!

I don't believe God has called us all to adopt, but He HAS called us to all do SOMETHING. It may be to pray for someone who is on this journey. It may be to financially support someone or help with fundraisers. Whatever it is, you have been called.

So why are we adopting? There are two reasons. Number 1. God has adopted me into His family and I am able to show His love by doing the same. Number 2. I think my heart would break in two if I never adopted again. I don't think I could go on knowing I would never again experience the journey of adoption. It is who I am. It is how I live. It is my purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment