Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Does it make that big of a difference?

"But Jesus said unto them, A prophet is not without honour, but in his own country, and among his own kin, and in his own house. And he could there do no mighty work, save that he laid his hands upon a few sick folk, and healed them. And he marvelled because of their unbelief." Mark 6:4-6a

These verses have been rolling around in my head for the last few days. It has really bothered me that Jesus was not honored in His own town. What bothers me even more is that because of the lack of faith of the people Jesus "could there do no mighty work". Now, I don't believe that Jesus could not do miracles, rather He chose not to do miracles because the people had such little faith. He marvelled at this. I marvel at this.
I mean think about it. These are people Jesus grew up with. These people are His family. They knew He had never sinned. They had heard of the miracles He had performed. They KNEW Him in their heads, but somehow it never reached their hearts. How did they miss it?
Jesus had just healed the woman with the issue of blood in Mark 5. In just one chapter before, we see what total, blind faith can accomplish. I wonder what Jesus was thinking in Mark 6. He had to be remembering the faith of this women. He was able to work an amazing miracle in her life because of her faith. Now he was marvelling at the lack of faith of his own people.
Fast forward 2000 or so years. Here I stand at the beginning of the adoption journey. I have stood here before. The nervousness, uncertainty and fear do not plague me as before. I have walked this road and all the while Jesus has walked beside me. I remember the lessons He taught me the last time. Some I did not learn as well and will need to learn them again. I will question God's plan. I will lack the faith I need on this journey. I am human, but I have a heavenly Father who sees the end. He has placed His hand on my future children. He has set them aside for me to be their mother. HIS ultimate goal is to bring us together. I just have to remember that no matter what storms come HIS goal is clear. I want Jesus to marvel at my faith.
So, does faith really make that big of a difference? Ask the woman with the issue of blood.

No comments:

Post a Comment