Wednesday, April 13, 2011

I Wonder If That Is How He Feels

Today I have been catching up on some blogs.  I have been reading about one family's journey to China to adopt a little boy and girl.  They are there now and have been posting pictures and thoughts of their trip.  I have sat with tears rolling down my face.  I am so excited for them.  I understand the pain and joy of this journey. 

I remember the very first time I held Trent.  He was 10 months old and I knew the moment I saw him that he was meant to be my little boy.  I was going through some old pictures the other day and came across this one.


It is a picture of his first Sunday at our church.  His foster mom, had brought him to church before he ever came to live with us.  She understood the importance of him meeting his soon to be church family for the first time.  Everyone fell in love with him instantly.  It made my heart glad to know that our church family welcomed our son with open arms.

A couple of years later we stood before the judge while he legally made him our son.  Trent was all ready our little boy but the judge made it legal.  I will never forget the relief I felt in knowing that no one would ever be able to take this little one from me.  He was ours forever.  These days are referred to "gotcha days". 


I have been thinking about our future.  Somewhere there are 2 little ones waiting for us.  We are working hard to get to their "gotcha day".  We long to hold them in our arms and kiss their precious little faces.  I know the joy of sacrifice, paperwork, and stress to get to that "gotcha day".  I know the joy of seeing that little face for the first time and know it was all worth it.  I can't wait for that day!

I have never given birth to a child but I have heard it said that mothers go through the pain of childbirth but forget it all when they see their child's face.  In a way we are going through our own process of childbirth.  Unfortunately, ours can last for months or years, but in the end it is worth it and we would do it all over again.

I can't help wonder if this is what the Father goes through.  Years ago, He sent His son to die on the cross for our sins.   He pursues us.  He longs for us.  He wants to hold us in His arms and keep us safe.  He wants to adopt us into His family.  Does He dream about the day that we will come to Him?  Does He wait patiently with tears in His eyes knowing that one day we will be His and will live with Him forever?  Does He long for our "gotcha day"?

No comments:

Post a Comment