Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Staying Afloat

Today I took my little man to swim lessons.  He has been doing really well and I am so proud of him.  He has learned the rules of the pool and that we ALWAYS wear life jackets when we are on a boat.  (And that we don't call 911 to tell them our colors!)

Besides teaching pool rules to the kids, the lifeguards spend a lot of the time teaching them to float.  They have the kids lay on their back and hold them up.  Most of the time the kids are holding on for dear life and begin to cry.  They spend most of their time scared to death.  Today I watched a little girl cry and cry while clawing the lifeguard.  She fought every step of the way.  The lifeguard spoke to her with a soft voice and continued to have patience while holding her in the water.

As I watched I realized that I have been crying and clawing at God, holding on for dear life.  I'm scared of what the future holds.  I'm afraid that the one Person that has promised to hold me and not let me drown is going to drop me.  I'm afraid that this time, He may not keep His word.

After a couple of weeks, my little man learned to trust the lifeguard.  He floats around like a little fish.  He isn't scared anymore. He has experienced the peace of just floating.  He has put all his trust in the lifeguard knowing she won't let him fall. 

I know how to float.  I've experienced the peace of letting God hold me while I enjoy the ride.  He has never given me a reason to be afraid.  He has never given me a reason not to trust Him, yet I continue to cry, claw and scream, "I'm scared!"  All the while He speaks to me with patience and love knowing that when I learn to let go I will enjoy the ride.

How many times in our lives have we grabbed on to God fighting with Him over what He has called us to do?  Why are we so afraid to let Him hold us up when He wants us to do something for Him?  I want to learn to relax and let Him hold me while I float.  No more clawing, fighting or crying.  Just trusting in the One who promised to hold me.

No comments:

Post a Comment