Monday, December 13, 2010

Christmas Traditions Part 1

I have been reading up on several adoption blogs and have come across some pretty great families. Everyone is working so hard to raise money to bring their children home. It just doesn't seem fair that it costs so much. There are so many people in this world who want to adopt but money always stands in the way. I pray everyday that God will supply the money these families need. If you have an adoption blog, I would love to read it. Just post it in the comment section or email it to me at thejourneyhome.todd@gmail.com.

Christmas is coming! I LOVE Christmas. It really is the most wonderful time of the year. When I was growing up, it was the only time that I saw my entire family in one day. Grandparents, cousins, aunts and uncles. It was the greatest day of the year. We had the best traditions when I was growing up and I want my kids to grow up with Christmas traditions as well.

When I was a kid, we would wake up early and open our presents. Santa had been there and we couldn't wait to see what he brought. I will admit I wasn't very fond of Santa. My mom said I would cry because I didn't want Santa to come in my room to look at me when he dropped off the presents. I am not sure what kind of creeper I thought Santa was but my Mom promised that Santa would just leave the presents at the door and Mom and Dad would bring them inside. Years later I found out Mom and Dad would be shoving presents under the couch that they were wrapping at 2 am when I would come in crying. I don't know why my parents kept up the Santa story when they knew it scared me, but they did. Aw, memories!

After we opened presents at our house we would go to my Dad's parents' house. Funny, Santa delivered presents there too. As a matter of fact he was still delivering presents there when I was 16, but hey, who is going to turn away presents no matter who they are from!?!?

My Grandma and Grandpa's house is where I got my first bike. It was so great. It was pink and had streamers on the handles and had Sea Princess written on it. I even had a plastic basket with plastic flowers to carry home groceries from Thriftway. It is also where we got fudge. My Grandma was an amazing baker! She could make cakes, pies, cookies, fudge...whatever you want. Every year she made the most amazing peanut butter and chocolate fudge. It was the kind that would melt in your mouth!

Both of my Dad's parents have passed away but I will never forget my Christmas' with them. I wish they could have known my children and my children had known them. They would have loved them. We still have Christmas with my parent's, Uncle Rick and my brother and his family but I will forever miss the look on my Grandpa's face while he watched his grandkids open their presents. It was pure joy. I see that look on my Dad's face now while he watches his grandkids.

Christmas didn't end at my Grandparent's house it kept going, but that is a story for another day. I would love to hear your traditions. Is there something special you do with your family every year? Are you starting new traditions?

No comments:

Post a Comment